As I’ve mentioned before, I’m in an agony of indecision on whether to let CCC Press have my story or to withdraw it.
On the one hand, I do not know how the publishing world works, and maybe this is the norm outside Asia. On the other hand, I find the contract quite biased towards the publisher, because:
they don’t just want first publication rights, they want the right to publish my work till they decide to let it go out of print,
they want the right to publish it later in an abridged form,
they want to charge sub-licensing rights to any publisher who would include my story in an anthology with a print run larger than 500 copies, and this could be an anthology exclusively of my own short stories.
I don’t want to make a big hoo-ha, but I wish someone who has published in anthologies in the UK or USA before could tell me if all publishers there have exactly these clauses.
So far I have been working with some Asian Presses and Marshall Cavendish, and all of them are ok with me re-publishing the story as long I mention they did it first.
I still have not withdrawn my story, but am debating the pros and cons.
Any advice welcomed and much appreciated, as a comment on the blog, or via email, about this dilemma I have about CCC Press !
Update: Sharon Bakar has picked up the issue and blogged about it here, (Thanks Sharon!), and my post on the Daily (w)rite blog has received responses too. No one so far says I should continue.
I’m still waiting for more votes. So far 14 people from the publishing industry all of whom I respect for their ability and stature have voted for withdrawal of my story from the CCC Press Anthology.