I’ll start with a confession: I’m not a model blog visitor in terms of the number of blogs I visit. I do 10-15 blogs a day at the max, other than in April, when I do more than 100 a day while hosting the A to Z Challenge. (If you don’t know about this challenge, I suggest you check it out.)
So for the 15 or so blogs I visit, I expect to be reading and commenting on all without a headache, and preferably within the hour. Not very ambitious, is it?
I find some blogs that won’t let me do this. Not that anyone should care, but I have a headache from visiting my fair share of *such* blogs today, and I feel like listing out the sort of blogs I’ll never visit again:
1. Blogs with black backgrounds: You know the ones with an inky background, and light grey font? (I know you love Paranormal, but that doesn’t mean you have to torture your readers.) Or the ones with shiny pink or other neon colored fonts and icons on black? Flashy things in the sidebar? Not only would I never follow you, I would blacklist you if I could. I Love My Eyes, and won’t subject them to your blog.
2. Blogs that make me jump through hoops: If I like your post, I want to comment on it. If you make me cross-eyed with word verifications, or with the effort to find how to comment, or sign on to some vague service for the privilege, I’ll Pass. Thank You Very Much. Not following you either.
3. Blogs that do not believe in paragraphing: You might be the biggest Sherlock, Einstein or Dickens, but if you write in a dense chunk of 2000 words, my eyes would glide away after the first few lines. There’s a reason that Return key is there. Use it. I wouldn’t rush to the follow button on this.
4. Blogs written in terrible English: If you don’t have the time to learn the language you want to communicate with the world in, much less to proofread your posts, I don’t have time for you either. A few typos are acceptable (we’re all human), but not an entire glob of gobbledygook I have to try and make sense of. Next.
5. Blogs that thrive on controversy alone: I hate flame wars. Life is too short to indulge in negativity, to get attention or otherwise. Enough said.
Now that I’ve got it off my chest, I have to say that the sort of blogs I list above are in the minority. Or I’ve probably managed to weed them out of my blog circle. Mostly, I’m a happy camper, and I LURVE my blog buddies. Sometimes, they are the only reason I blog.
Are there any blogs you would NEVER visit again? Is there anything on this blog that drives you crazy? Fire away in the comments!