I loved the idea, because I believe that life is made of little joys, and if we live fully in those moments, we do not have to chase ‘happiness’!
So here goes my list, in no particular order (I take each day as it comes, and one is as good as the other) :
1. It gives me a trill of pleasure to see my plants set to bloom. I have very few plants on my small balcony– so blooms are an event.
2. I love freshly done laundry — it is a joy to bury my nose in a pillow and take in that smell of home, and love, and I don’t know — family?
3. My husband travels often, but each time he sends me a message from the local airport that he’s landed, I can’t help smiling.
4. I grin when my stories get published, but more than that, I love it when I go back to my own writing and have that moment of, “Wow, I wrote that!” Keeps me happy all that day.
5. I spent my life being afraid of water, and learned to swim last year — well into my thirties. Now every time I swim a lap, a part of me sings, because I’m not afraid.
6. Sometimes a book I’m reading makes me smile, or weep — both are moments of joy.
7. When a friend calls me out of the blue, wondering how I am, I smile about it all day long.
8. I speak English and no Mandarin, and the lady who helps me weekly, speaks Mandarin and no English. We have a laugh riot when she does stuff like store the fabric softener in the fridge, and fill the steam iron with fizzy water.
9. Good food and chocolate. Whenever I have either (or both), I’m blissed out.
10. My cup of tea right after I wake, that perfect cup of mindfulness in my hands as I sip and prepare to write, that is my everyday moment of joy.
So those were mine, and I have many more, but rather than making a long list, I’d like to hear your moments of joy.
(Here’s a list of 15 Powerful Things Happy People Do Differently... I was thrilled to see at least some of the points in the list hold true for me, and others are points I’m working at!)
What are the little (or big) things that make you smile, and make you feel grateful to have them? What brings you Joy?
If you liked this post, you can have biweekly posts delivered to your inbox: click the SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL button.
(Feel free to share this post if you like it. You’ll find icons to re-blog it via WordPress and Blogger to the left of this post.)