When blogging, I find blog-visiting just as enjoyable and important as posting on the blog. Often, I wish to leave messages for those I visit, beyond the comments on their posts. I don’t because it feels like an intrusion, and I run short on time. Some of the things I want to say to bloggers, are:
- Make it easier to comment on your posts: Some bloggers make it very tough to leave a comment. You have to sign various forms etc and I tend to lose patience, because most of my blogging and blog visiting is on the run from my phone during work breaks. I wish Blogspot users would add the Name/URL option, that those allowing only FB or Google + Comments etc would just open it to other platforms. Why not make it just a Name/ URL thing? Why would you limit the number of bloggers who can EASILY comment on your blogs? Enable comment moderation if you want to avoid spam.
- Make it easier to share your posts on social media: Add the share buttons to social media and make it easy to tag you when sharing posts on Twitter or G+ etc. I find so many bloggers whose Share buttons are not connected to their own Twitter, making it tough to tag them when sharing their posts.
- Don’t write long blocks of text : It is hard to read on screen. Make it easier to read your posts by using shorter paragraphs and bold titles etc.
- Make your posts ‘easy on eyesight’: Stay away from dark backgrounds, gifs. Make sure your posts download fast.
- Check your spam folders and rescue my comments: That’s self-explanatory. Have lost count of blogs where my comments disappear.
- Make it easy to follow you: Give me easily visible Social Media Buttons and Follow the Blog Buttons. But don’t keep bugging me about it: all those pop-up windows asking me to subscribe to your blog aren’t going to make me do it. Reminders on your blog are fine, by why bombard your visitors with pop-ups?
- Link your gravatars to your blogs: When you drop a comment, make sure your name links to your blog. I’ll visit you back that much quicker if you leave me a way to do it.
What are your pet peeves as a blogger? What would you like to change in the blogs you visit? What keeps you from commenting on some blogs: content, format, or ease of commenting?
Do you follow this blog? If yes, why, and if not, why not? (My blog follow button keeps breaking– let me know if you’d like to follow along but have trouble doing so– my apologies if you find broken links.)
If you’re following my blog, or social media, and would like a follow back, please give me a heads up. I follow back all non-spam accounts as best as I can.
Please join Daily (w)rite on its Facebook Page in case you’d like to be heard by this community. If you liked this post, you can have weekly posts delivered to your inbox: click the SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL button.