To spread spread peace and humanity on social media, a few of us have worked together to create the We are the World Blogfest:
Belinda Witzenhausen, Emerald Barnes, Eric Lahti, Inderpreet Uppal, Kate Powell, Lynn Hallbrooks, Mary Giese, Michelle Wallace, Peter Nena, Roshan Radhakrishnan, Simon Falk, Susan Scott, Sylvia McGrath, Sylvia Stein, Chrissie Parker.
Each month a few of us would lead the co-hosting, and the inaugural month Lead co-hosts for “We Are the World Blogfest” are Belinda Witzenhausen, Lynn Hallbrooks, Simon Falk, Sylvia McGrath, and yours truly, Damyanti.
In the spirit of “In Darkness, Be Light,” here’s a link to a heartwarming piece of news from southern India: A couple has transformed 300 acres of denuded farmland in Karnataka into India’s first private wildlife sanctuary. Check out pictures of the sanctuary here and watch this video to know more.
“Once we bought the land, we allowed the forest to regenerate. We planted native species where necessary and allowed nature to take care of the rest,” says Anil.
Today, SAI Sanctuary covers approximately 300 acres, and draws naturalists and scientists doing research on the different animal species as well as hundreds of indigenous trees and plants, which have medicinal value as well. Hunting and poaching was a challenge…They worked with the forest department to set up camera traps and keep poachers away. “There are times I have fought poachers with logs,” says Pamela.
The news of green cover on this planet reducing worries me: my dream is to some day be able to plant trees. This couple’s initiative is an inspiration: two people together can create an entire forest in a denuded land– it boggles my mind, that two individuals with the right intent can make such an impact. It is true that they had resources, but they put those resources to an altruistic use–caring for our planet.
If you liked this new and woud like to take part in this blogfest, sign up in the WE ARE THE WORLD Linky List below and please help spread the word on social media via the hashtag #WATWB.
- Keep your post to below 500 words.
- All we ask is you link to a human news story on your blog on the last Friday of each month, one that shows love and humanity.
- Join us on the last Friday of each month in sharing news that warms the cockles of our heart. No story is too big or small, as long as it goes beyond religion and politics, into the core of humanity.
- Place the WE ARE THE WORLD Badge on your sidebar, and help us spread the word on social media. Tweets, Facebook shares, G+ shares using the #WATWB hashtag through the month most welcome. More Blogfest signups mean more friends, love and light for all of us.
- We’ll read and comment on each others’ posts, get to know each other better, and hopefully, make or renew some friendships with everyone who signs on as participants in the coming months.
#WATWB also wants to link to charities supported by the co-hosts, and you could choose to donate to some of them or add links to local charities you support. Here’s the organization I’ve come to love and support: PROJECT WHY— and here’s one of my previous posts on the work they do. Feel free to send them a little of your help– every little bit counts.
What piece of positive news have you read lately– would you like to talk about it in the comments, or make a post of your own? Would you like to visit this sanctuary? Do you think our green cover depleting is a cause for alarm? If so, what can we do to reverse this process?
Please join Daily (w)rite on its Facebook Page in case you’d like to be heard by this community. If you liked this post, you can have biweekly posts delivered to your inbox: click the SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL button. (Feel free to share this post if you like it. You’ll find icons to re-blog it via WordPress and Blogger to the left of this post.)