To spread peace and humanity on social media, a few of us have worked together to create the We are the World Blogfest. In a world where news and social media are awash with negativity, we aim to turn the focus on to small but significant stories that renew our faith in humanity.
We are the World Blogfest is here with its fourteenth edition.
I’m helping co-host this month along with these wonderful bloggers: Shilpa Garg, Peter Nena, Andrea Michaels, Inderpreet Kaur Uppal . Go visit them please and thank them for their hard work behind the scenes.
I usually post individual stories of love and hope from around Asia, but this time for a spark of light in the darkness, I’d like to share an absolutely heartening piece of news for humanity in general, but for my friends the bees in particular.
In recent times, worldwide bee populations have been falling at an alarming rate, and this has dire consequences for the survival of our species: bees pollinate 90 per cent of our crops. One of the main reasons bees are dying out is the use of toxic pesticides.
So I’m thrilled to learn that the European Union has voted to permanently ban bee-harming pesticides.
The ban has also received extensive public support, with a petition from campaign group Avaaz gathering nearly 5 million signatures calling on European ministers to support it.
“Banning these toxic pesticides is a beacon of hope for bees. Finally, our governments are listening to their citizens, the scientific evidence and farmers who know that bees can’t live with these chemicals and we can’t live without bees.,” said Antonia Staats, senior campaigner at Avaaz.
I was one of the millions who signed the petition, and this was a result I hadn’t expected. I hope that such bans come into effect worldwide, and that humanity wakes up to save bees before it is too late.
Do you see bees in the gardens, parks, or farms around you? Do you know if they’re safe or endangered in your area? Do you have beekeeper friends? Would you vote for a ban on bee-killing pesticides?
If you’d like to take part in this blogfest, sign up in the WE ARE THE WORLD Blogfest Linky List below and please help spread the word on social media via the hashtag #WATWB.
- Keep your post to below 500 words.
- All we ask is you link to a human news story on your blog on the last Friday of each month, one that shows love and humanity.
- Join us in sharing news that warms the cockles of our heart. No story is too big or small, as long as it goes beyond religion and politics, into the core of humanity.
- Place the WE ARE THE WORLD BLOGFEST Badge on your sidebar, and help us spread the word on social media. Tweets, Facebook shares, G+ shares using the #WATWB hashtag through the month most welcome. More We Are the World Blogfest signups mean more friends, love and light for all of us.
- We’ll read and comment on each others’ posts, get to know each other better, and hopefully, make or renew some friendships with everyone who signs on as participants in the coming months.
- Add your post HERE so we can all find it quickly.
The We are The World Blogfest Community Page on Facebook will continue to show links to the various blog posts. So you don’t have to hurry through. You can always enjoy one a day. Like the page and share your posts on the thread for the purpose.
Please join Daily (w)rite on its Facebook Page in case you’d like to be heard by this community (Click on See First).
If you liked this post, you can have biweekly posts delivered to your inbox: SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL . (Feel free to share this post if you like it. You’ll find icons to re-blog it via WordPress and Blogger to the left of this post.)